Thursday, June 20, 2013

Forced to Slow Down


     What I love about life out here in CO is that you really do slow down. Living out here for just the summer is simpler, but also more complicated.
Last Thursday (our first full day in Fort Collins) Dave was reversing out of a parking spot when he smashed the front end of the car into a 3ft tall pole. It's probably the poorest design, and not just because we did it, but the maintenance guy said he sees it all the time. Well instead of my family dropping me off at class I got into the car of 3 other staff guys (don't worry mom, they are ligit guys on staff with Cru). Our car was leaking transmission fluid so it was undrivable. It is currently being worked on and we are hopeful to get it back early next week. Oh and did I mention that Dave recked his mom's car!!! That was a hilarious phone call, "Uh mom. I uh got smashed up your car." No, actually my mother-in-law is probably the most gracious person. She wasn't upset in the least.
     So life has to be simple when you don't have a car. If we want to get somewhere, we bike. If we need to grocery shop for the week, I borrow a friend's car.
     I bike to class and I'm gone from 8:30-3:15. Dave and the kids do some kind of school lesson, play outside, walk to the pool, and bike or scooter around where we live. We have no TV, which is actually quite nice. Nothing's on in the summer anyway. The kids watch shows on the compter. We hang out with friends most late afternoon/evenings because everyone lives in the same community. It's so ideal.

     I even bought a bike. It was $30!!!!!!!!!
If you know me, you know I hate biking. It's uncomfortable on my shoulders and I hate pushing myself physically, which a bike forces you to do. Well I didn't have a choice because I needed to get to class. And since I needed a bike to get to class I bought a cruiser, which is more comfortable for me. I do hate how sore my thighs are, but the freedom is lovely. The views of the foothills of the Rockies are even more lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment