Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bear Lake




     On our drive to RMNP we spent some time praying; one of the things we prayed for was to see wildlife.
Lilia and I were in the lead on the trail when I heard some splashing in the brook to my left. I looked and saw what I thought was a salmon. We climbed down and over to where this fish was just chillin'. It turns out that it's a greenback trout. The rangers were so excited to hear that we saw one because they were on the brink of extinction and they are trying to bring them back. This fish was traveling up steam to spawn, and unlike salmon it will return to the lake to live on.


     After that exciting find, about 25 yards up the trail a jack rabbit comes flying down the rocks and stops about 4 feet in front of me. It was awesome! Before I could snap a picture, it hopped away, up the trail then into up the mountain. Dave and Alex chased after and got this picture. It was so fun to see something we've never seen in the wild before!
      Bear Lake isn't very large, but there is a trail that goes around the whole lake. It was perfect for the kids to explore and get acclimated to the altitude without pushing them too far. I asked the kids to predict how they thought the water would feel. They both guessed kinda warm, kinda cold, since it was a warm day. We splashed out hands in and it was just cold.


2 comments:

  1. I love seeing your adventures! Bear Lake is so nice. That's so cool that God blessed you with seeing wildlife!! He is so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sydni, we were blessed and so excited to have seen two animals we never saw before.

    ReplyDelete