Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One awesome thing about this country is that most people have an "ai." It's pronounced "ie." It simply means auntie, which here is a helper. Your helper can do anything from clean your place, babysit or prepare dinner for you. My ai came yesterday afternoon and she cleaned the whole apartment. She did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, bathroom, dusted, cleaned the porches and the floors. I love it, it's so wonderful. Then again, who wouldn't! The crazy part is that she goes for about $1.75 an hour. She will come every Tuesday afternoon. She is young and has a son of her own. I'm looking forward to interacting with her and her interacting with Lilia. I been told by other poeple here that it's really invaulable to your child's learning. Since I don't really know the language, I am going to try to learn one or two phrases that I can say/ask each week. Next week I'll ask her how old her son is and what his name is. I'll let you know how it goes!