Monday, September 1, 2008

I went to the grocery store all by myself on Saturday morning. It was great to be able to get out. This grocery store is more like the local food store we know. (ACME, Giant...) I found most of the things I needed and was excited to see that they carried so much stuff.
I had to buy some meat though, I was going to attempt to cook dinner. I couldn't tell if what was packaged was pork or chicken. I tapped a woman on the shoulder and waved her over. In the LITTLE bit of language I know I asked her what the meat was called. She pointed to the characters, which didn't help me. I asked her if it was pork or chicken. She replied, "pork" of course in the language, not English.
I was so excited, I was able to ask and understand someone in a language not my own. I was able to buy already prepared vegetables where they add the spices and sauce for you. It was great. It tasted pretty good too!