Friday, December 27, 2013

English Class

   
     So both Dave and I have the same job. It looks different for each of us - at least it does after having children. We are technically missionaries. We work for Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ.) We worked at West Chester University, our alma matter, for 4 years. Then we went overseas for a year with Cru. After coming home from a very difficult year we switched lanes from traditional American undergrads to working with international students who come to America to study. So we still work for Cru, but now we work for a division of them called Bridges. It's such a perfect fit for us; especially Dave. He's doing what he's made for!
     I had such an incredible summer taking seminary classes in Colorado. I loved everything I was learning! This summer I began praying how God would use me this semester (fall 2013).
     Lilia goes to The City School with five Chinese Christian kids. All of them had come to her birthday party in March including some of the parents. One of the moms, Shiqiong (shir-chi-ong), saw me do a craft with the kids. She was impressed with how I "taught" the kids as we went along. Well she asked me at the beginning of the school year if I would teach English to the children and moms of visiting scholars. A visiting scholar may be a doctor or a professor in their country and they come here to do research and learn from how we do things in America.
     As far as teaching, things were really silent on Shiqiong's end for a while. She knows the needs of the Chinese community. Whether Christian or not, the Chinese hang around and know one another. Just before Thanksgiving she asked me again and we worked out the details. My first class was just after Thanksgiving. We had 5 kids and Lilia and Alex came to work with me to help the kids. It's totally free and my goal is to also help the moms with their English.
     We have only had 3 classes, but our last one was a week before Christmas. I went to the $1 store and found some awesome books. Of the three kids who came two of them are in Kindergarten and the other is in first grade. So I wrapped these up as presents, brought in a table top fake tree and we played a game. We played "freeze dance." When someone won a round they got to pick a present. I made sure everyone won.

We talked about the Christmas story in a very simple way. Then we filled out a coloring sheet where they had to label the pictures. Mary, Joseph, lamb, Jesus, manger, staff, star, etc.
I had them sound out some of the letters/words and they had to write them on their own paper.
I love teaching. I did get a degree in Elem. Edu at West Chester. However, outside of student teaching, Sunday school and now this, I've never taught a day in my life. It just comes natural to me. I teach my kids when I interact with them, when we hike and when Alex helps me cook. I'm so excited about how God wants to use me this semester, and next. And Lilia is an excellent helper. She is a natural teacher. I let her explain a game or check the kids work. She loves it. She would want to run the whole class if I let her!







No comments:

Post a Comment