Saturday, February 23, 2013

For the Price of a Cup of Tea

     To me there is nothing more calming, warming and relaxing than a cup of hot green tea in one of my beautiful mugs. It's my favorite way to start my morning, enjoy my afternoon and I always have tea before bed.
     City Church (our church) practices Lent. When I first heard this I was confused, we aren't Catholic.
     Before myself and my family became Christians, we grew up going to a very traditional, spiritually dead church. When I became a Christian in high school it was through a different church, non-demoninational. When I saw the joy of the people, excitement in worship and scripture elaborations that I could connect with I instantly rebelled against traditional churchy things. So again, my response to practicing Lent was pretty much like, "Why would anyone do that? It seems so stiff."
     Last year was the first time, through God's Spirit convicting me, I gave something up for Lent. I'm practicing it again this year, each time asking God what He would have me give up. This year it was tea. Last Saturday was my last cup.
     As a result of going through the misery of missing my caffeine fix as well the calming, warmth and comfort I was missing out on I came to a stark realization.
     In general, I would spend time reading my Bible one day, but think to myself, 'I don't need to read my Bible today I read it yesterday.' I would think about God throughout the day in certain instances, but I didn't REALLY see my need for fellowship and pursued thought about God every day. I know I am very sinful and I need Jesus everyday in one sense, but how it actually played out was different. However, once I denied myself tea, that's all I could think about. 'Oh I need a cup of tea.'  'I really want some tea right now.'
     By the 3rd day I was boiling the tea water when the doorbell rang. (Yes I was giving up!) I was watching my friends kids for a couple of hours. The younger one crawled right up the steps and I had to chase after him, leaving the tea kettle to cool resulting in no tea for me. God was merciful, God was gracious. So I realized that afternoon as I was so tempted to cave, 'Why don't I desperately need God like I so desperately need tea?'
     It was humbling. That realization also caused me to want to move forward with lent in the efforts for God to cleanse me from this idol. I put the feeling that tea gives me, mentally and physically above God. I bring my own tea places because I want to make sure I can have not just tea, but my very favorite and prized loose green tea. Wow. It's been good. I'm thankful that God is rounding me out through City Church and the traditions it follows as well as freeing my from my sin through Lent. I need God to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment