Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Beet Pancakes Anyone?


Due to watching a documentary, Hungry For Change, I am implementing even more fruits and veggies and less sugar into what we eat. I don't want my kids to grow up with diabetes or other health problems because of the food choices I make at the grocery store or out and about. 
In the February 2013 issue of Parenting Magazine they had a new column featuring Catherine McCord who's goal is to give her kids the desire to eat healthy foods. I spotted these beet pancakes and loved the color. I gave it a try, letting the kids join me in the process and using our senses to explore beets. We had a blast!!!

Once we roasted the beets and they cooled a bit, I let the kids explore this new food with me. We played with the beautiful bright color the beets bled into the foil. We dipped our fingers in it, tasted the juice and Lilia let me "paint" her face. (It came off just fine.) Because the kids helped me with most of the process, even making the pancakes and watching them turn such a beautiful color, they were so excited to eat them! You just got your kids to each an incredibly healthy veggie! 
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 salt
3 TBSP melted butter
3/4 cup pureed beets
1 1/4 cup milk
1/3 plain greek yogurt
1 egg (I didn't have plain greek yogurt so I used 2 eggs instead)
1 tsp vanilla
1. How To Roast & Puree Beets:
Preheat the oven to 400. Cut the beets off close to the end of the stem. Discard the leafy part or use it for another use. Wash the beets well with water, scrubbing them with your hands. Wrap each beet, still in it's skin, in foil and place on a baking sheet. (They don't have to be dried off.) Bake for 48-55 minutes or until a knife cuts through easily. 
Allow to cool enough to handle them. The beets will stain your hands, but it comes off with a good washing. Peel the skin off with your hand and or a knife. Slice them down. Puree them until smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Add all of the wet ingredients and mix well again. The batter will become the most beautiful color fuschia!
3. Cook on a griddle about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with honey, syrup or raspberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment