Friday, April 20, 2012

Bringing up Bebe

If you are a young mom or planning to be one; read this book. I just finished one of my (in my opinion) top 3 parenting books. It's written by a former New York journalist, Pamela Druckerman, who ended up living in France with her Brittish husband. Eventually they had 3 kids and raised them in France. 
I had read the following article, Why French Parents are Superior. Then the book came out and Dave rented it from the library for me. I soaked it up. It's filled with such great stuff. Stuff to remember and apply, but also stuff to take with a grain of salt.


Does this scene sound familiar:
"Bean (Pamela's daughter) would take a brief interest in the food, but within a few minutes she was spilling salt shakers and tearing apart sugar packets. Then she demanded to be sprung from her high chair so she could dash around the restaurant and bolt dangerously toward the docks."
"Our strategy was to finish the meal quickly. We ordered while being seated, then begged the server to rush out some bread and bring us our appetizers and main courses at the same time. While my husband took a few bites of fish, I made sure that Bean didn't get kicked by a waiter or lost at sea. Then we switched."
"I started noticing that the French families around us didn't look like they were sharing our mealtime agony. Weirdly, they looked like they were on vacation. French toddlers were sitting contentedly in their high chairs, waiting for their food, or eating fish and even vegetables. There was no shrieking or whining."


Order the book on amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment