Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hazard of the Job

Alex and I were checking out at Target today. He was sitting in the child's seat of the cart. As the light-skinned, black, elderly man was ringing us up Alex says, "I can tell you're from another country."
The man said, "What makes you think that?"
Alex replied, "Because your skin is a different color."
"I was born in Atlantic City, NJ," said the man, not seeing too offended.
I was so embarrassed! I quickly chimed in, "We work with international students," hoping that would explain Alex's comment.
The man finished checking us out and didn't seem very hurt.
Alex does go to school with two Pakistani kids, is best friends with half white, half Chinese kids, and lives in an African American neighborhood. I guess you could say he's very observant for 4 1/2!

No comments:

Post a Comment