Sunday, January 22, 2012

A visit with Sarah

Alex and I stopped at Starbucks to grab some tea before meeting Jing and her son Christian. When we got out of the car there was Sarah.
I had seen Sarah before, but we hadn't met. I saw her when I went to this same Starbucks to spend some time reading by Bible. Sarah sat down at a table that was already occupied by a college girl on her computer. The girl was greatly annoyed that Sarah sat down. The girl put on headphones to make sure Sarah would not talk to her.
As soon as another table opened up the college girl very loudly moved to that table leaving Sarah alone. I watched the whole interaction. I kept peering back at Sarah's face, at the girls face, trying to understand Sarah a bit. I felt bad that this girl so rudely wanted nothing to do with Sarah. I can understand though; someone like Sarah isn't easy to love.
So when Alex and I got out of the car and Sarah asked me for a dollar, I knew I had to engage her. I told her I didn't have any money, but I would love to buy her a coffee. Sarah said alright. Alex right away told Sarah about stinky bear.
Starbucks was crowded as we walked down the stairs and stood in line. Sarah doesn't talk quietly either. We got in line and I asked her if she was hungry. She said yes. I ordered Sarah a breakfast sandwich and a coffee, as well as my China green tips.
Sarah asked me if I lived around here. I said I do and that I come to this Starbucks to read my Bible.
Sarah also commented that she didn't get any sleep the night before. I encouraged her to get some rest this afternoon and be sure to get some sleep tonight.
Before we parted ways we introduced ourselves. I think she thanked me, but that doesn't matter. I was more than happy to provide her with some food and a drink, even if it would contribute to her awakeness.
As I buckled Alex into his car seat he said her name, "Sarah?" I tried to tell him that we loved Sarah by getting her some food and coffee. We then prayed for Sarah as we drove away.

There are always opportunities to love people and I don't often take them. I'm far too selfish, I'm too busy. Heck I can't do it, "I've got kids."
This one though seemed too easy. Like it was on purpose. What's a few dollars on some food and a drink. It's nothing to me, but to Sarah it probably meant so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment