Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just down the street from Best Buy


I (Dave this time) was returning back from buying blank DVDs from Best Buy when I noticed an antique store. They are not that plentiful here since so many antiques were destroyed as "decadent" during the 60's.

I stopped in to realize that they sold not only antiques but old English books as well. I have never seen used English books here before. Most of the titles were old literary classics. When I saw this book, my heart dropped. It is titled "The Unoccupied M----- Fields of Africa and Asia" from 1911. It was written by the Student Volunteer Movement, who sent over 20,000 young men and women around the turn of last century.

It was amazing to hear of what life like was here back then. I also got to thinking, what life this book's original owner led. He or she must of brought this book with them over the Pacific Ocean. They could of wanted to read it since they were headed inland. Now the book has survived multiple revolutions and it ended up down the street from Best Buy.

It is nice to know that you are part of continuing something much older than yourself.