Saturday, February 13, 2010

Alex update

Alex is 4 months now. He continues to have severe eczema. The itching wakes him up and keeps him from getting comfortable to sleep most times. We keep socks on his hands to prevent him from scratching up his little face and head.
We are seeing an allergist to figure out if the eczema is food based before we begin introducing solids. That's on the 22nd or 23rd (which ever day Tuesday is).
We are still trying out different formulas. It seems like the soy is aggravating his skin. We are trying a new formula called Allimentum. It's insanely expensive, but if it helps it will totally be worth it. I can't say whether it's helping or not yet. We'll see.
He is still really pleasant; smiling and laughing lots. Sleeping still isn't his best thing. We were at my parents for 4 nights so that threw off the 9hrs straight in his crib. We're back home tonight, but he's not liking the crib. Hopefully he'll get used to it again.
The last update is that we're taking Alex to see a chiropractor. I've heard from a friend and from a reflexologist that this type doctor can help his reflux. If anyone other than my friend Kim D. knows about this or has experienced it, shoot me an email...katie.brindley@uscm.org
I think that's it.

1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to little Alex. I lived with diet-aggravated eczema from birth to age 14. Most of my childhood was spent scratching. When I was a kid, they would give me a medicine called Atarax, which is an antihistimine and sedative. I co-worker has a son that was just precribed Atarax for a chronic allergic reaction. I know that meds have come a long way and special formulas really can help. My baby brother was on Neutramigen, which was insanely expensive back in 1984! One thing you may ask the allergist is to test his level of IgE, a blood protein that acts as a barometer for susceotibilty to allergens. If there is a high IgE level, there are ways to bring it down that have been approved for non-infants. Not sure how soon he could start such a treatment.

    I'll be praying for you guys. As a parent, it's never easy to watch your child suffer.

    Blessings,
    Ed Dart

    ReplyDelete