Thursday, February 20, 2014

I'm a walker and that's ok.

I'll never be a runner and that's ok.
Even in high school I couldn't run the full mile in gym class - Ugh - what torture!
I ran the half mile in track. Yeah, that didn't even last a full semester. ( You practically have to run as fast as you can 2 times around the track. Cruel. Just cruel.)
I quit lacrosse because you had to run 3 miles in practice. No Thank You!

Along Kelly Drive
I bet you're asking how I get exercise.
I walk, like speed walk walk.
I'm moving my core when I walk and I choose to walk places with intervals, you know lots of hills.
That's my thing. But the thing I hate is when I'm out walking and a runner passes me. My pride is hurt because running is hard and I hate running. I feel like walking is a cop-out. In a way it is, BUT you don't see old ladies in their 70's looking good because they are runners. You see old ladies out there looking good because they are walkers!
However I don't go out for walks primarily to get exercise.
I go out for walks for fresh air, to be in nature, and to enjoy the scenery. As a runner you are too focused on running to notice incredible vistas, animal tracks in the snow, the perfect photo opp, or a bird flying overhead.
So even if I could be a runner I wouldn't want to be. As a walker I can stop and look at flowers or throw a snowball in the river. I can stop to take that perfect photo.
I'm a walker and that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment