Friday, January 30, 2009

Dave's first thoughts back home

Exiting the taxi in our complex, I saw a number of red leaves on the ground. "The leaves have fallen" I thought, forgetting that the trees have been barren for months. Katie observed that the ground was littered not with leaves, but firecracker wrappers. Some set off right below Lilia's window. We are safe 9 stories up, but it would of been a number of sleepless nights.

Chinese New Years lasts for 5 nights. We came home when it was supposed to be over, but I can tell by what I see and hear that it is not quite done. On the street there are a number of vendors who carve out a bit of sidewalk and sell explosives the size of checked luggage. As for the sounds, I was just interupted by explosions that would end most town's celebrations not 20 feet from our widow.

We do not know how we will sleep tonight. I think a cannon just went off.