Thursday, May 23, 2013

How young does perfectionism seep out?

So I notice that I write about Lilia a lot. Here's one for Alex. This morning he we were looking through a bin we have for books downstairs when he found his Spiderman folder. He totally felt like his big sister in that moment. He grabbed an animal book and said, "Mom, here's my homework." When I asked him if he wanted a book that had real homework in it, he got all excited.
I grabbed a preschool workbook that practices tracing numbers. He was so incredible precise with each stoke of the marker. If he went out of the lines at all he scribbled over it and said, "That's not a good job."
As pictured here, he had traced the 3, but it wasn't perfect so he is coloring over it.
I was very sure to praise him for all of his work and remind him that isn't not a big deal to go out of the lines a little bit.
Oh Alex, we are so similar. Nannie would tell me how precise I would color in my coloring books. We both love puzzles and need that sense of completion; like how it bothered you when the monster I drew wasn't colored in. It had to be all filled in so you colored it for me. You are insanely observant; like yesterday when you asked me about a bicyclist you saw and you noted the color shirt she had on as well as the color bike she was riding. We sometimes butt heads but that's because we are so alike. I love you Alex. You're my little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment