Friday, March 21, 2014

Meet Eileen

Eileen is a researcher from Beijing, China. She is a visiting scholar doing more research at Penn. I met her through the English class I teach on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Her son Jerry comes to my class. (He chose his name from the cartoon Tom & Jerry.)
One day we were talking and she told me how she does famous Chinese brush painting. Yesterday I had some free time to go over and see her work.
As a child Eileen didn't have much to do so she would spend much of her time drawing. Later after college she paid money to take a class to learn this technique of painting. She spends her free time here in Philly painting.
She showed me at least 50 paintings. Many were scenes of birds, with flowers or flowering trees in the background. She also has some of large eagles with mountains in the background. Her work is so amazing. This one isn't even her best work.
She can't sell them in America because there isn't a market for them. She sells them in China for $1,800-$2,500. She does this as sort of a second job.

No comments:

Post a Comment